Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tahoe Trail 100, Leadville Qualifier

Since it was the day after my birthday and I was in Tahoe I thought nothing could go wrong. Well, start of the race I was feeling amazing. Climbing was no effort and I was passing people left and right. I found myself on Rebecca Roush's wheel and felt she was going too slow for my liking and so I went around her, about a mile later found a cut in my rear tire's sidewall. I stopped and put the tub in and inflated it and the bead came off the rim and the tube was huge, pretty funny looking actually. I had to fix it and hand pump it all the way which took too long. I lost about 12 minutes doing all of this. The rest of the race I was just passing people non-stop and crashed on a fire road corner about 20 miles in and my tire pressure was going low. At the start of the second lap I floor pumped it and it was at 15psi and I just pumped it to 40 so get me through the lap. 10 miles from the finish my chain was sucking like cray cray and found only one gear that my bike likes which was big to mid cassette, and that was not going to fly. I ended up asking a photographer for some lube and he luckily had some. I lubed it and it was like butter. I finished and the tire pressure was back at 15psi. Ended up finishing 3rd in my age group and 15th overall with a time of 4:45:23. Pretty good for wasting something like 25 minutes with things goring wrong. I qualified for Leadville and am registered for the 2013 Leadville 100.


The crash ended up putting a gash in my hip which was borderline in need of stitches, nothing some bandages and GoodGoop won't heal.


Website: http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/page/show/431654-tahoe-trail-100


Results: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0029/7428/OVERALL_MALE_100K.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment